Friday, June 6, 2008

June 5th Readings: Technology Transforming Education

Big Ideas for Better Schools: 10 Ways to Improve Education
This was a well organized article that linked the idea that several different factors had to be in order to have a successful learning environment. My mind is stuck on the idea of Web Quests, because this article also touched on the idea that learning must be "project based-engaging for students-hands on-not from a textbook". This goes along perfectly with my philosophy of education and also the way my school district looks at hiring potential teachers. Everything we do should be student centered. Everyone in the community (students, teachers, schools, parents, and members of the community) must work together to help make our schools more successful. The section on parental involvement was interesting. I would be nervous to go out to the home sites of all of my students, because of the areas that some of my kids live. I always send out my first Welcome Newsletter before school starts, with their first homework assignment attached, so both the parents and students are able to get to know me as well as the curriculum before school starts. Also-my school district offers parenting classes for those parents who struggle in any shape or form with their child (i.e. disability, ADD/ADHD, young parents, etc).

Rearrange the Desks: Reposition the Students' Seats to Help Retain their Attention
No desk arrangement should every be permanent. My kids are so used to having their desks moved around, and having to work in cooperative groups, that they almost get excited during AIMS testing when I have to put them into rows! They always think that is such an exciting arrangement and beg me to keep them like that for the remainder of the school year (like that will ever happen!). I did learn some good advice on how and where to space the student desks in the classroom. The article stated that each desk should not be farther than 15 feet in any direction from the instructional source. I will keep that idea in mind when I set up my classroom this fall.

Counting on Computers
This article started out as somewhat sad and depressing, because of all the hardships this Chicago school district has dealt with and the blasphemy from politicians. This district seemed to have had enough, and finally decided to make a change! After 4 years of change, the district's test scores have been rising. Many think this phenomenon is linked to the additional technologies that have been placed on school campuses. Teachers are no longer using technology as a way to drill and kill their students, but as a way to tackle today's learning objectives in a more hands on and inquiry based lesson approach where the student takes charge of his/her learning and the teacher is the facilitator.

The Next Step
I enjoyed this article by Howard D. Mehlinger, because he took a step back and observed the entire teaching process and what steps need to be accomplished so that computers and other forms of technology can be used to their fullest potential to support academic achievement. Technology is here to stay, and it is important that the earlier we introduce our students to these skills, the easier the transition to higher education. The same applied to teachers. Teachers must be trained and given the time to experiment with various forms of technology before they are expected to become experts. Modeling is key! Teachers were at one time the same age as their students. We all know that sometimes our kids work for an incentive. The same thing applies to teachers. More responsibility and leadership roles are being dumped on educators with no reimbursement. If we want our teachers to be able to support others at a particular site, they have to know that their work is valued and appreciated. I can just assume right now, that without them, far too many teachers would have already left education, because of lack of professional development and guidance. One of the most valuable parts of this article that I will walk away with is assessing our technology and providing feedback. It is our job as educators to know what needs to be changed in order to improve student achievement. I believe that technology can and does improve achievement, but if there are not proper forms of data that can prove these factors, school boards will not approve and more money on expansion or additional programs.

2 comments:

Stacia said...

Amanda, you've been breaking up your daily readings into separate posts, but I think we only are supposed to respond once, so I've been going down to your last of the daily posts each day. I just wanted to explain why I haven't been responding to each of your posts. Great insights you have going on!

Santa Barbara or Bust! said...

It sounds like your article about the Chicago school system is very similar to the Union City article that I read called "Remarkable Transformations". Both schools turned their frowns upside down. They were failing schools when it came to student achievement / test scores and now they are excelling. As a caveat to this, my current school was in improvement status not too long ago. (Before my time there.) And now, twice within the past 6 years we have been labeled an A+ & excelling school. We also use a lot of technology, group work, peer collaboration and block scheduling as an integral part of our day. This stuff really works! I see a living, breathing, operating example on a daily basis. It can be done!!